Texas Republicans Have the Answer!
In June 2012, the largest state Republican convention in the country overwhelmingly approved a sensible immigration plank. It is known as the Texas Solution. Texas Republicans are no longer willing to kick the can down the road. They want Congress to adopt a solution, and they have offered an outline. Now Congress needs to act!
REPUBLICANS FOR IMMIGRATION REFORM?
Romney’s loss to Obama should be a wake-up call to Republicans that did not think immigration reform was important. Romney’s criticism of Gov. Perry on in-state tuition and “self deportation” requirement pushed Hispanics to vote for Obama. Romney got less than 27% of the Hispanic vote. Bush got 40%! Hispanics voted for Obama because they perceive Republicans to be people that look down on them and want to deport their grandmothers!
That message has long been promoted by groups like FAIR, Center for Immigration Studies, and NumbersUSA. These people are Spies in our Camp because they pretend to be “conservative Republicans.” They are not Republicans at all. Check them out and you will find these organizations are made up Planned Parenthood promoters, Al Gore earth worshipers, and zero population advocates! We have allowed them to divide Republicans with the immigration wedge.
“Hispanics are Republicans, they just don’t know it!” (Ronald Reagan)
This year alone 600,000 Hispanics (born in the USA) celebrated their 18th birthday. Over the next 4 years that equates to 2.4 million new eligible Hispanic voters. Republicans need to get behind sensible immigration reform now! Please urge your Congressmen and Senators to do just that. Encourage them to lead on immigration reform using the Texas Solution as an outline.
Republicans control the House of Representatives, and under the leadership of Congressman Ted Poe, Republicans can lead on real immigration reform. If Congressman Poe will take the lead, Hispanics will see that Republicans are just as serious about solving problems and creating opportunities as they are about protecting the unborn!.
2012 Texas Republican Party Platform
The Texas Solution – Because of decades-long failure of the federal government to secure our borders and address the immigration issue, there are now upwards of 11 million undocumented individuals in the United States today, each of whom entered and remain here under different circumstances. Mass deportation of these individuals would neither be equitable nor practical; while blanket amnesty, as occurred with the Simpson-Mazzoli Act of 1986, would only encourage future violations of the law. We seek common ground to develop and advance a conservative, market- and law-based approach to our nation’s immigration issues by following these principles:
- Secure Our Borders – The U.S. Border must be secured immediately! We demand the application of effective, practical and reasonable measures to secure our borders and to bring safety and security for all Americans along the border and throughout the nation.
- Modernize the United States Social Security Card – We support the improvement of our 1936 Social Security card to use contemporary anti-counterfeit technology. The social security card will not be considered a National ID card for U.S. citizens.
- Birthright Citizenship – We call on the Legislative, Executive, and Judicial branches of the United States to clarify Section 1 of the 14th amendment to limit citizenship by birth to those born to a citizen of the United States with no exceptions.
- Create an Effective and Efficient Temporary Worker Program – A national Temporary Worker Program should be implemented to bring skilled and unskilled workers into the United States for temporary periods of time when no U.S. workers are currently available. The program should also require:
- Self-funding through participation fees and fines;
- Applicants must pass a full criminal background check;
- Applicants with prior immigration violations would only qualify for the program if they paid the appropriate fines;
- Applicants and/or Employers must prove that they can afford and/or secure private health insurance;
- Applicants must waive any and all rights to apply for financial assistance from any public entitlement programs;
- Applicant must show a proficiency in the English language and complete an American civic class;
- Temporary Workers would only be able to work for employers that deduct and match payroll taxes;
- All participants would be issued an individual Temporary-Worker Biometric Identification Card that tracks all address changes and both civil and criminal court appearances as a defendant.