Achievements of the 115th Congress
by John Cornyn on October 18, 2018 at 10:01 AM
It's important to note what we have been able to do. While we have fought mightily over some things like judicial nominations, we've also worked in a bipartisan way to get the people's work done.
- TAX REFORM: Reformed America’s tax code for the first time in 31 years, putting more money in the pockets of American families and creating more opportunity for them and their children.
- JUDGES: Confirming President Trump’s judicial nominees at a historic pace – 84 total, including 29 circuit judges, 53 district court judges, and Brett Kavanaugh and Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.
- HURRICANE HARVEY RELIEF: Passed three separate aid bills totaling $147 billion to help fund recovery efforts after Hurricane Harvey and other disasters. Authorized the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers storm damage mitigation project from Sabine Pass to Galveston Bay and helped expedite a study on the so-called Coastal Spine.
- PREVENTING MASS SHOOTINGS: Enacted Fix NICS and STOP School Violence Act to help protect the American people from mass shootings and fix the broken background check system.
- VETERANS’ BENEFITS REFORM: Delivered real reform and choice to American veterans with the VA MISSION Act, modernized the veterans appeals process, reformed G.I. bill benefits, and further improved VA accountability. Also provided the largest funding increase in history for veterans care and services, and to modernize the VA’s electronic health record system.
- VICTIMS’ RIGHTS: Passed the Justice Served Act to provide funds to prosecute cold cases solved by DNA evidence and the SAFER Act to help reduce the rape kit backlog.
- WATER INFRASTRUCTURE: Authorized the Army Corps to construct, expedite, modify, or study more than 100 water resource projects that will grow the economy, cut red tape, and keep Americans safe.
- FARM BILL: Working to provide farmers and ranchers with the certainty and predictability they deserve with Senate passage of a critical Farm bill.
- LANDMARK OPIOID LEGISLATION: Combatting the nation’s worst public health crisis with a package of proposals to fight a widespread epidemic, including stopping fentanyl at the border and spurring development of new non-addictive painkillers.
- SEED COTTON: Seed cotton and farm bill safety net eligibility included in the Bipartisan Budget Act.
- REGULATORY REFORM: Used Congressional Review Act (CRA) a record-setting 16 times to roll back Obama-era regulations.
- ENERGY: Opened ANWR, one of the largest untapped conventional oilfields in North America, to help keep energy affordable.
- BANKING REFORM: Provided Main Street borrowers and lenders relief from burdensome Dodd-Frank red tape for the first time.
- FIGHTING SEX TRAFFICKING: Enacted the Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act to combat trafficking.
- OBAMACARE RELIEF: Repealed the individual mandate tax that forced Americans to buy something many didn’t want or couldn’t afford, and ended IPAB.