College Scholarship Opportunity for Students in Parker County and Wise County
by TexasGOPVote on June 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM
AUSTIN - State Representative Phil King has announced a scholarship opportunity for eligible high school graduates from public, private, or home school within Parker and Wise counties. The 2013-2014 Texas Armed Services Scholarship has been created to assist promising students throughout the state who are committed to education and service. It encourages young leaders to participate in the Texas Guard, Army National Guard, or Air National Guard, or to become commissioned officers in the United States armed services. The scholarship will provide recipients with up to $10,000 per academic year for up to four years (out of the five years allowed for graduation) toward undergraduate education at any Texas university with an active ROTC program. (Currently, this includes 32 public and private institutions.) To be eligible, a student must meet two of following four academic criteria:
• Be on track to graduate high school in a Distinguished Achievement Program or International Baccalaureate program
• A GPA of 3.0 or higher
• Ranked in the top third of the graduating class
• SAT score of 1590 or ACT score of 23
To receive the scholarship, a student must:
• Be appointed by a State Representative or State Senator or by the Governor or Lieutenant Governor. (Each member of the Legislature may make one appointment to receive one of the first scholarships. The Governor and Lt. Governor may make two appointments.)
• Enroll in an eligible Texas institution and an eligible ROTC program
• Commit in writing to:
o Remain in ROTC for four years
o Graduate within five years.
o Enter Guard service or accept a commission with the armed services within six months of graduation from college.
o Meet program physical fitness requirements.
"The opportunity to serve your state and your country in this capacity is truly a privilege and an honor," reflects Representative King. "I would encourage any student eligible for this scholarship to apply and take full advantage of the opportunities made available for those who serve."
If you are a resident of Parker or Wise counties and are interested in this scholarship, please send a cover letter, resume and any letters of recommendation in a packet via mail or email to Ashley Westenhover to be received no later than Thursday, the 10th of July 2013. Email a PDF attachment to: email@example.com.
State Representative Phil King
c/o: Ashley Westenhover
Room CAP 1N.7, Capitol
P.O. Box 2910
Austin, TX 78768