Are Federation of Americans for Immigration Reform (FAIR), NumbersUSA, and Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) Really Playing the GOP for a Bunch of Suckers? SPIES IN THE CAMP - Part II – FAIR
by Norman Adams on August 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
FAIR was founded in 1979 by Dr. John Tanton. John Tanton is an admitted environmentalist. In the 1960’s and 70’s Tanton served in high ranking positions in Environmentalist organizations such as The Sierra Club and the Michigan Natural Areas Council. Tanton’s concern for the environment led him to advocate “Family Planning” (a.k.a., ABORTION) as means of population control. From 1965 to 1971 Tanton served as organizer and President of Northern Michigan PLANNED PARENTHOOD. John Tanton’s concern for the environment has also fueled his desire to curb immigration.
Below are the backgrounds of FAIR’s Board of Directors and National Board of Advisors. These are some of FAIR’s most strident environmentalists and abortion advocates:
- Sarah Epstein - serves on the boards of several non-profit organizations, including Pathfinder International, Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, Center for Development and Population Activities and The Population Institute.
- Richard Lamm – Former Governor of Colorado; Drafted the nation’s first liberalized abortion law. Lamm was an early leader in the environmental movement.
- Gerda Bikales – a member of the Advisory Board for Tanton’s The Social Contract where she argues the dangers of overpopulation.
- Dorothy R. Blair – Deceased. Longtime member of FAIR’s National Board of Advisors and a co-founder of the Planned Parenthood Chapter in Naples, FL.
- J. Bayard Boyle, Jr. – serves on the board of directors of Pathfinder International, a reproductive health organization that advocates abortion.
- Torrey C. Brown – former CEO and current chair of Family Health International, an organization that advocates abortion in underdeveloped regions.
- Donald Collins – advocates family planning as means of controlling climate change.
- Cliff Colwell M.D. – on the board of Tanton’s Pro English organizationxv and a donor to Planned Parenthood.
- Jane S. DeLung – Former FAIR Advisor. Served as president of Population Resource Center, for nearly twenty years. She served as vice-president of Illinois Family Planning Council, an organization that provides funding to Planned Parenthood Association/Chicago Area.
- Bonnie Erbe – a PBS journalist & abortion advocate; author of an article entitled “In a Recession, Abortions Are Not a Bad Choice.”
- Robert Gillespie – president of Population Connection; he began his career in 1962 with the pro-abortion group Pathfinder Fund (now Pathfinder International).
- Otis W. Graham – on the board of directors for Californians For Population Stabilization (CAPS), a split-off of Zero Population Growth (now known as Population Connection). CAPS advocates universal access to family planning in California.
- Diana Hull – former president of Californians for Population Stabilization (CAPS). Hull is quoted as saying “Human overpopulation is the fundamental environmental problem.”
Is FAIR Really Playing the GOP for a Bunch of Suckers?
“In a 2001 letter by Tanton [...] he laid out his idea to ‘move the battle lines on the immigration question in our favor’ by convincing Republican lawmakers that ‘massive immigration imperils their political future.’ The goal, he wrote, was to ‘change Republicans’ perception of immigration so that when they encounter the word “immigrant,” their reaction is “Democrat.”’ Organizers of the campaign against the [anti-immigration] groups found the letter at the University of Michigan’s Bentley Historical Library, which houses Tanton’s papers.” - Peter Wallsten, the Washington Post
Norman E. Adams, CIC
Co-Founder Texans for Sensible Immigration Policy
Are Federation of Americans for Immigration Reform (FAIR), NumbersUSA, and Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) Really Playing the GOP for a Bunch of Suckers? SPIES IN THE CAMP - Part III – NumbersUSA
Are Federation of Americans for Immigration Reform (FAIR), NumbersUSA, and Center for Immigration Studies (CIS) Really Playing the GOP for a Bunch of Suckers? SPIES IN THE CAMP - Part V – Show Me the Money!