Thursday, I met with Granbury residents Paula and Joey Reed in my Washington, DC office. Wednesday night, Paula and Joey met with President Biden regarding the detainment of their son Trevor—a U.S. Marine Veteran who has been held by Vladimir Putin as a political pawn since August 2019.
Paula and Joey are tireless advocates for their son Trevor, and I am extremely proud of the work they are doing every day to bring him home. I am pleased that President Biden took the time to personally meet with them in the White House. It is a huge comfort to Paula and Joey, and all who know and love Trevor, that the President of the United States is aware of his case and working to secure his release. I will continue to lead the effort in Congress to raise awareness to Putin’s illegal detainment of Trevor Reed. I will not rest until he is safely home in Texas.
I have been a vocal advocate for the release of Trevor Reed:
- Early this month, I publicly called for President Biden to meet with Paula and Joey when the President visited Texas.
- Last year, I passed a bipartisan, bicameral resolution calling for the immediate release of Trevor Reed.
- I have held multiple press conferences with the Reeds and Congressional leaders from both sides of the aisle (here, here);
- Repeatedly questioned Secretary of State Antony Blinken about Trevor’s case (here, here);
- Sent a bipartisan, bicameral letter to President Biden calling for him to address the arrest of Trevor and Paul Whelan, who is also detained in Russia