Reps Gohmert and Posey Lead Letter to NSA Director Demanding Answers about Tucker Carlson Spying Reports
Rep. Bill Posey (FL-08) and I led a letter to NSA Director Paul Nakasone demanding information on reports that the Agency illegally spied on Fox News host Tucker Carlson and planned to leak his personal emails to media outlets.
The letter requests that the NSA provide all documents the Agency may have involving Tucker Carlson as well as the following information:
- A detailed description of the “limited exceptions” that would permit the NSA to target a US citizen without a court order, as the Agency understands the term as it is used in its own tweet;
- A detailed description of what constitutes an “emergency” that would permit the NSA to target a US citizen without a court order, as the Agency understands the term as used in its own tweet;
- A detailed description of “the foreign activities that could harm the United States”, as the Agency understands the phrase as used in its own tweet;
- A full explanation of when the Agency understands it is lawful to monitor, surveil, collect, unmask, or receive data on a US citizen without a court order explicitly authorizing such targeting, including while conducted in the course of targeting foreign powers;
- A detailed description of how the Agency defines “domestic terrorist” and when its mission could extend to targeting foreign powers who are corresponding with individuals defined as such;
- A detailed description of your understanding of the term “clandestine intelligence activities;” and
- What specific actions have been taken to hold accountable those who unmasked, approved unmasking, or shared information on unmasked U.S. citizens?
The letter is co-signed by 15 other Members: Andy Biggs (AZ-05), Rep. Lauren Boebert (CO-03), Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (GA-14), Rep. Matt Gaetz (FL-01), Rep. Jeff Duncan (SC-03), Rep. Chip Roy (TX-21), Rep. Andy Harris, M.D. (MD-01), Rep. Greg Steube (FL-17), Rep. Tom McClintock (CA-04), Rep. Randy K. Weber (TX-14), Rep. Diana Harshbarger (TN-01), Rep. Mo Brooks (AL-05), Rep. Bob Good (VA-05), Rep. Mary E. Miller (IL-15), Rep. Jody Hice (GA-10)
After the disturbing treatment of Donald Trump by the Deep State, it should come as no surprise that intelligence agencies are continuing their illegal surveillance of Americans who dare to challenge power-hungry elites in Washington, D.C. Reports about the NSA spying on Tucker Carlson are reminiscent of something one would expect to see in a tyrannical dictatorship, not the United States of America where citizens supposedly still have Constitutional rights. The Agency’s attempt to explain itself thus far has only raised more questions that Mr. Carlson and every citizen of this country deserve to have answered.
"Spying, unmasking, and leaking the private communications of American citizens weaponizes our intelligence agencies, and this abuse of power must stop. Protecting national security is not only about deterring enemy threats, but it also involves safeguarding our liberties." – Rep. Bill Posey.
Text of the letter can be found HERE.