Government Declares War on the Constitution - 2nd Amendment in the Crosshairs
Many people believe the Government has been whittling away at Liberty and the rights of the people enshrined in the US Constitution for many years, especially since the attacks on our nation on 9-11-2001. Now the 2nd Amendment is coming directly into the cross-hairs of the Federal Government. Of course, this is a key step in overturning the rights of the people. A disarmed society is much easier to control. This month Senator Dianne Feinstein has taken the point on this issue by announcing a new gun-control bill to be introduced in the Senate during the 2013 session.
Following is a detailed list of action items from Feinstein's official US Senate website:
Summary of 2013 legislation proposed by Sen. Feinstein
- Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
- 120 specifically-named firearms;
- Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one or more military characteristics; and
- Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds.
- Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
- Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test;
- Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test; and
- Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans.
- Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
- Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
- Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment;
- Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes; and
- Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons.
- Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
- Background check of owner and any transferee;
- Type and serial number of the firearm;
- Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
- Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
- Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration.
This is an outrageous attack by Feinstein on the rights of law abiding citizens of the United States and must be stopped. Laws should be written to affect criminals who abuse their Constitutional rights by breaking existing laws. We do not need new laws that punish law abiding citizens while doing nothing to reduce the crimes being committed by others.
Here is a list of things you can do to protect your rights to own firearms in this country:
- Contact your Congressman and Senators. Let them know you strongly back the 2nd Amendment and want no new restrictions on gun ownership.
- Contact Sen. Feinstein and let her know you do not approve of her proposed legislation that violates the 2nd Amendment.
- Join organizations that protect these rights like the National Rifle Association the Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America.
- Support the firearms industry by purchasing new weapons (if you can find any), ammunition and accessories.
- Work with state legislators to strengthen the rights of gun owners within the states.
- Make certain that you, as a gun owner or supporter of Constitutional rights are registered to vote and then get other gun owners registered as well.
The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting and shooting sports. The 2nd Amendment gives you the right to protect yourself and your family when the government cannot. We have had many instances in the recent past where this has been demonstrated. After Hurricane Katrina where guns were confiscated from citizens, the Los Angeles riots and even in many attempted mass shootings where an armed citizen was present and able to stop the attack. It is also in place to protect all of the other rights guaranteed in the Constitution by having an armed citizenry that is able to protect an over-reaching government.
One of our TexasGOPVote bloggers, Nelson Spear from Midland, Texas contacted Sen. Feinstein's office today. Here is how that conversation went:
Young Lady: Senator Feinstein’s office. How may I help you?
Nelson: Yes ma’am, my name is Nelson Spear and I am calling to expression my opinion to the Senator that I wish she would not introduce any legislation that limits or bans certain weapons.
Young Lady: Well, that is not going to happen.
Nelson: I wish it would not happen.
Young Lady: Might I suggest that you change your request to say that you say you request that she temper her legislation?
Nelson: No. I feel very strongly about this. I know at least 100 others who feel the same way.
Young Lady: But you’re not going to be effective.
Nelson: I really feel that this proposed legislation is unconstitutional. I have a law degree and have had it for over 20 years
Young Lady: [Interrupting] We really do not care if you have a master’s degree or a law degree.
Nelson: I really want to leave my opinion for her. Young Lady: It won’t make a difference.
Nelson: Can I still leave her my opinion.
Young Lady: What is your zip code?
Nelson: 79702 Young Lady: What city is that?
Nelson: Midland, Texas.
Young Lady: Then you need to contact your state’s Senator. [Click. Hang up!]
How's that for friendly service...
Be vigilant during 2013. Your rights will be under attack. Feinstein will not be the only Senator trying to steal your rights. Only an informed and ever-watching cadre of citizens can stop this from happening.
Perhaps Senator Feinstein's time would be better spent investigating why her President and Attorney General are violating the law by allowing guns to be illegally purchased in the US and delivered to Mexican drug cartels under operation Fast and Furious. Just a thought...
Make sure to check out the comments on Facebook.