Cornyn Praises House’s Decision to Advance Airline Relief Bill
I released the following statement praising Speaker Pelosi’s decision to advance a stand-alone relief bill for air carriers and their employees in the U.S. House of Representatives:
I’m glad Speaker Pelosi finally recognizes how critical our airline workers are both to Texas and to the nation. Ensuring Texas airline workers can keep their jobs will help keep air travel safe and protect this vital sector of our economy.
I am a cosponsor of the Air Carrier Worker Support Extension Act, which would help U.S. airlines keep their workers on the payroll amid significant decrease in travel demand during the pandemic. This bill would provide additional financial assistance for airline employee wages, salaries, and benefits.
The Air Carrier Worker Support Extension Act:
- Extends the Payroll Support Program through March 2021
- Provides financial assistance for employee wages, salaries, and benefits:
- Up to $25.5 billion for passenger air carriers
- Up to $300 million for cargo air carriers
- Up to $3 billion for airline contractors
- Reallocates $19.9 billion in unused CARES Act funds