What the Government Funding Bill Means for Texas
The Senate voted on the Fiscal Year 2022 Omnibus Appropriations bill, which funds the federal government through September 30, 2022. I spoke about my support for the bill on the Senate floor recently, and below is a summary of its positive impact on Texas.
The FY 2022 Omnibus Appropriations Bill:
- Equips boots on the ground on the southern border by providing $22 billion for interior enforcement and border security efforts, including equipment upgrades and tactical infrastructure along the southern border.
- Supports border communities in Texas that absorb the costs from the surge of illegal immigration by directing $130 million to the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) to compensate these communities.
- Cracks down on illegal drug trafficking with $296 million directed to federal-state-local partnerships, including Task Forces in Texas.
- Strengthens national security with a six percent increase in defense spending, including a 2.7 percent pay raise for our troops as well a $436 million investment to upgrade and improve military facilities in Texas
- Stands up to Russian aggression by supporting Ukraine with $13.6 billion in aid to Ukraine for critical military equipment, weapons, and humanitarian assistance.
- Supports rural Texas communities and Texas’ robust agriculture industry with $100 billion for farm and food safety net programs authorized by the Farm Bill.
- Invests in critical water infrastructure projects with $8 billion included for flood mitigation and ecosystem restoration in Texas.
- Ensures critical assistance programs and funding for victims of domestic abuse are provided for through the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act, which Sen. Cornyn has been leading on in the Senate.
- Provides $1.7 billion for Community Health Centers to ensure low-income Texans have access to health care.
- Bolsters programs for low-income Texas high school students preparing for college and career readiness with $1.5 billion for the TRIO and GEAR UP Programs.