Sen. Cruz Issues Statement On CCP Crackdown
U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas), member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, today released the following statement condemning the Chinese Communist Party’s abuses against Chinese activists protesting the CCP’s COVID policies, and the Biden administration’s response.
Sen. Cruz said:
“The Chinese Communist Party has since the beginning been desperate to cover up the origins, nature, and consequences of COVID-19. They lied and continue to lie to the world, and as a result millions of lives were lost and immense suffering was caused.
“Now their coercive campaign of denial has converged with their systematic human rights atrocities, including their ongoing genocide of the Uyghurs and other minorities in Xinjiang.
“The people of China are not to blame for the CCP's actions. In fact, many of them were already protesting the CCP’s handling of the pandemic, and now those protests have escalated into open criticism of the regime. They are bravely standing up for their rights.
“The Biden administration’s response has been worse than expected. The CCP should know that one way or another, in the coming months or in the coming years, the United States will hold accountable each and every CCP official responsible for atrocities against these protesters.”
Sen. Cruz has led the fight against the Chinese Communist Party’s human rights atrocities and political oppression:
- Worked to hold the CCP accountable for the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Passed into law a bill that mandated a reevaluation of America’s policy on Hong Kong against the backdrop of the CCP’s civil and human rights violations, and their exploitation of Hong Kong’s special status.
- Led the blacklisting of the technology companies that the CCP uses for monitoring and persecuting the Uyghurs, sending a letter and introducing legislation that eventually became the basis for the Trump administration blacklisting such companies.
- Spearheaded countering China’s ability to propagandize over American radio, introducing legislationthat led the Trump administration to reject radio licenses to a station subject to control by the CCP.
- Introduced a range of additional legislation targeting the CCP’s cover-up of COVID, coercion of American film and television studios that leads to self-censorship, forced abortions, and control of critical minerals.