Texas Republicans Should Support the New Immigration Plank!
America is proudly a nation of immigrants. Throughout our history, our nation has attracted productive, industrious and gifted people to America because she is exceptional, and those immigrants and their descendants helped make America the world’s unrivaled economic and military superpower. It remains imperative to create fair and consistent procedures that will again enable freedom-loving, hard-working and law-abiding immigrants to join us, by providing them an efficient, practical method of legal entry, so they can lawfully take positions where their labor is needed, without exploitation or harassment.
Our national interests are poorly served by our broken, embattled, and outdated immigration system, and patchwork attempts to mend its deficiencies will not prepare us to continue to meet the challenges of an increasingly complex global economy that demands the legal movement of people to fill jobs at all skill levels. An efficient, pro-family and market-based system will provide a more workable solution that is compassionate, equitable and respects the rule of law.
But by failing to create a rational and effective system that encourages and facilitates legal immigration to the benefit of the nation, Congress has forced states to deal with the consequences of a broken immigration system, including human, sex and drug trafficking, the direct criminal activities of cartels and gangs. This situation must end so America can, once again, enjoy the fruits of a vibrant and beneficial system of legal immigration.
Secure Our Borders First -
- We demand the federal government immediately secure the borders and bring safety and security for all Americans.
- We demand Congress develop and fund a National Border Security Plan based upon the recommendations of lawmakers in Texas and other border states.
- Because the federal government has failed to act, we call on the Texas legislature to develop and fund a border and port of entry security plan utilizing state and local law enforcement.
Oppose Amnesty – We oppose any form of amnesty to include any granting of legal status to persons in the country illegally.
Oppose Mass Deportation – We oppose any form of mass deportation
Modernize the Immigration Laws -
- We support the improvement of our 1936 Social Security card to use contemporary anti-counterfeit technology.
- We support replacement of the current employment visa system with an efficient, cost effective system that responds to actual and persistent labor shortages.
- We support the reallocation of immigration slots balanced to meet labor shortages and family re-unification.
- We support ending country of origin quotas.
- We support ending the annual green card lottery.
Provisional Visa Program – In order to deal with the current undocumented population, we urge Congress to enact a provisional visa program that does not provide amnesty, does not cause mass deportation and does not provide a pathway to citizenship but does not preclude existing pathways.
- An eligibility criterion should consider criminal history, completion of penalties and fines for immigration violations and payment of current and back taxes.
- Participants must be responsible for their own and families private health insurance.
- Participants must waive any and all rights to apply for financial assistance from public entitlement programs.
- Participants must show a proficiency in the English Language.
- We urge Congress and the state legislature to strengthen enforcement and penalties on employers that do not comply with labor and employment laws to ensure an equitable labor market. There will be no penalties to those employers that comply with effective employment verification systems.
Our 2014 Platform Committee should be Commended!
This final draft of our Immigration Plank secures the border, grows our party, and has no AMNESTY.
God bless our committee members!