Brady Statement on Post Office "Conspiracy"
I released the following statement after voting against Speaker Pelosi’s fabricated USPS crisis:
Experts have repeatedly debunked Speaker Pelosi’s postal conspiracy, describing it as ‘embarrassing' and ‘lunacy'.
Meanwhile, small businesses are closing, workers are losing jobs, schools need resources and America needs more funding for tests and vaccines.
Speaker Pelosi, stop sabotaging our economy by refusing to negotiate with Republicans to deliver real help for real people now.
BACKGROUND: Despite sending members home before we passed meaningful relief legislation, Speaker Pelosi is willing to call an “emergency session” in order to address a manufactured crisis. Here are some facts Speaker Pelosi ignored:
- During his testimony to Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Postmaster General DeJoy stated that each member of the Board agreed with his planned reforms, and that, “there has been no changes in any policies with regard to election mail for the 2020 election.”
- The USPS is financially solvent through at least August 2021, with $14 billion cash on hand currently.
- Under the CARES Act passed earlier this year, the USPS has the option of receiving an additional $10 billion loan from the Treasury Department.
- Democrats have fueled conspiracy theories about mailboxes being moved en masse – but according to the USPS Inspector General, the Obama-Biden administration removed roughly 14,000 mailboxes from 2011 – 2016.
- The USPS has the ability to process and deliver absentee ballots – they currently deliver an average of 471 million pieces of mail per day.